Zhanjiang is a charming city thanks to its natural scenery, temperate weather, tree-lined beaches, exceptionally affordable and accessible public transportation, and clean environment, Zhanjiang was voted as the “most livable city in China.”
About the Project:
This project gives participants from all over the world a chance to engage in an intercultural exchange with middle school to college-aged students from China. Participants will have the opportunity to fully delve into Chinese culture, history, language, and tradition. In return, participants will share their own customs and ways of life from their country of origin. In the end, participants will leave this program with a true sense of what it means to be a student in China, a greater understanding of the Chinese lifestyle, an appreciation for intercultural dialogue and exchange, and, most importantly, lasting friendships.
Every day at this project is different and jam-packed with events, forums, tours, and lessons all designed to give you a comprehensive introduction to China and Chinese culture. Some of the activities you may be involved in include:
• Learning the art of Kung Fu and Tai Chi
• Engaging in discussions about cultural differences and their implications
• Assisting Chinese students with their English
• Touring significant historical sites and cities in the surrounding area
• Learning different Chinese art forms, such as calligraphy
• Learning about the Chinese education system and teaching style
A typical day: From 7:30 am to 8:00 am, you will have the option to take a Kung Fu or Tai Chi class, followed by breakfast. Starting at 8:30 am until 11:30 am, you’ll take part in some type of cultural activity, such as learning basic phrases in Chinese, learning calligraphy , playing games to stimulate discussion about cultural differences, to design some games for the kids, to encourage them to speak more English. You will be taken on an organized tour of nearby historical sites or attractions from 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm, and, from 7:30 pm until 9:00 pm, will be your free time to eat dinner, relax, or partake in organized activities.
Accommodation: Participants will stay in the dormitories of DongPo Resort with up to 6 other people per room. Each room has air-conditioning and an attached bathroom with hot water.
Food: Three typical Chinese meals a day are provided and served at the DongPo dining hall.
Internet: Free WIFI is available.
Laundry: Laundry self-service is provided.
The first three days of the program will consist of an orientation that includes:
• Introduction to the program and program staff
• Learning basic Chinese words and phrases
• Introduction to Chinese culture and education system
• Partnering with college students who will act as a mentor, tutor, and personal guide during your stay
Zhanjiang is truly a respite from China’s crowded streets and bustling cities. As part of the program, you’ll get a chance to tour the following sites:
• Huguang Lake Global Geopark
• Zhanjiang South Asia Tropical Botanical Garden
• Ancient towns of Zhanjiang
• Techeng Island