Education Volunteer in Mauritius
This Education volunteer project in Mauritius aims to foster community development by providing underprivileged children with equal opportunities to education.
Participants engage with, and teach, under-privelaged children in a Kindergarten setting. Games and socialising leads to a lot of fun, while the children learn English as they go along. English itself is not a set part of the curriculum for them to the extent only 54 per cent of youngsters in Mauritius leave school able to go on to further education and college.
Aims & Objectives
- To foster community development by providing underprivileged children with equal opportunities to education.
Monday to Friday
After breakfast you’ll attend either the local kindergarten and primary school where you’ll spend the morning playing board games, making models using dough, colouring in pictures and engaging in outdoor games with the youngsters. After lunch it will be more of the same, including introducing the youngsters to numbers and colours (as well as English).
Towards the end of the afternoon you’ll be reading the youngsters a story and poem or singing a song. You’ll then spend the rest of the time planning the next day’s lessons and keeping feedback files on the youngsters up-to-date (this will be shared at a later date with other volunteers in Mauritius who join the programme.).
Activities will include:
- Kindergarten & Primary School teaching, using English
- Learning through activities using board games, play dough, colouring pictures and games
- Introducing children to colours, shapes & other cognitive exercises.
- Basic introduction to numbers and alphabets in English
- Games in the playground that enhance exercises & translating the actions in English.
- Introduction to the natural & manmade environment in naming of trees, water, leaves, grass, metal, water, taps, building etc.
- Short stories, poems & songs that are popular to a majority of the participants
- Sharing geographical knowledge on their countries that they come from and country locations on the globe.
- Lesson planning and research to plan for the next day’s teaching inputs for the children.
- Maintaining a file on each of the educational activity that you do with and for children so that future volunteers can avoid repetition and improve the existing activities, materials etc.
- Weekly meetings amongst participants to brainstorm on the programs undertaken
This schedule can be changed and/or amended depending on weather conditions, local conditions and unforeseen circumstances.
The location is perfect, sitting along a beautiful stretch of coastline, on the Southwest coast of Mauritius, only a two-hour drive from the International Airport.
Turquoise clear water, powder white sand, palm trees and a huge mountain behind it. Do you already have an imagination of what this will look like? It will be even better when you are here with forest trails, hikes leading to an incredible panorama very real.
La Gualette is 5km from Le Morne represents one of the most significant global commemorations to the memory of the slave resistance. Not only does the region evidence a rich and remarkable oral history but in 2008 La Morne was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site precisely for this remarkable role.
Accommodation & Food
You will be staying at our centre which is located in the La Gaulette area yet can vary depending on the project. All participants are expected to be environmentally responsible and to use all resources with restraint, especially water, paper and electricity. You will be expected to clean up after yourself, and to play your part to keep the accommodation neat and tidy. There are refrigerators at the accommodation for participant’s convenience. Bathrooms have hot water facilities and all rooms have wall-fans to cool off.
- Standard Room
- All meals included
- Free beverages (Water,Coffee,Tea)
- Persons per room 4-6
- Lockable rooms
Breakfast is western style and lunch and dinner would be a mix of western and typical Creole style food.
Three meals on weekdays, Two on weekends
ATMs, supermarkets, and medical facilities are available within 5km radius from the accommodation.
Sights & Surroundings
- Le Morne Brabant trail
- Chamarel Seven Colored Earth
- Black River George National Park
- Chamarel Waterfalls
Trip Country Info
Population: 1,348,242 (July 2016)
Capital: Port Louis
Language: Mauritian creole, Bhojpuri, French, English
Currency: Mauritian Rupee (MUR)
Time zone: MUT (UTC+4)
The beautiful island Mauritius is a famous tropical travel destination lying in the Indian Ocean, about 2000 km away from the southeast coast of the African continent. The country was known by different names throughout the past as it was visited by a number of nations from time to time. And it was only in the year 1638 that the country was inhabited after the establishment of a colony by the Dutch republic. And later, in 1710 the Dutch colony was abandoned and then became a French colony five years later giving the island the name “Isle de France”. The country became a republic in the year 1992 under the commonwealth nations and currently it is the 3rd most attractive tourist destination in the region due to its breathtakingly gorgeous beaches and the tropical forests. And in addition to this, the country owns the world’s third largest coral reef which surrounds the island as well.
Participant Criteria & Requirements
|Criminal Record Check|
No requirements have been provided.
- 24/7 support in case of emergencies
- Airport Pick up
- English speaking coordinator
What's not included
- Airport drop off
- Travel insurance